U.S. Intelligence ~ 10 Terror Plots Foiled
Foiled Los Angeles Terror Attack
In a plan that had originated as part of the September 11th 2001 attacks, but changed by Osama bin Laden to a follow-up attack, the hijacking of an American commercial aircraft and its use to destroy "the tallest building on the West Coast" was to be carried out by terrorists recruited by al-Qaida from Southeast Asia. The plan called for the terrorists to use shoe-bombs to breach the cockpit doors, then fly the fuel-heavy aircraft into the (then-named) Library Tower in Los Angeles.
According to Bush, the plot was foiled in early 2002 with the assistance of a Southeast Asian nation and the mastermind, Khalid Sheik Mohammed (who also planned the 9/11 attacks), was captured in the summer of 2003.
Although he did not characterize this as proof of the effectiveness of the Terrorist Surveillance Program (erroneously labeled "Domestic Wiretapping"), he portrayed this and other such successes as proof of the effectiveness of his policies combating terrorism and safeguarding our nation.
"We're hunting down the terrorists using every element of our national power. The terrorists are living under constant pressure, and this adds to our security…By striking the terrorists where they live, we are protecting the American homeland."
1. West Coast Airliner Plot: ((2002 - See above))
2. The Jose Padilla Plot: In May 2002 the United States disrupted a plot that involved blowing up apartment buildings within the U.S.. One of the alleged plotters, Jose Padilla, allegedly discussed the possibility of using a "dirty bomb" inside the United States. Bush has designated him an "enemy combatant."
3. Strait of Hormuz Plot: In 2002 the United States and partners disrupted a plot to attack ships in the Strait of Hormuz, the entrance to the Persian Gulf from the Indian Ocean.
4. Arabian Gulf Shipping Plot: In late 2002 and 2003 the United States and a partner nation disrupted a plot by al-Qaeda operatives to attack ships in the Arabian Gulf.
5. Karachi Plot: In spring 2003 the United States and a partner disrupted a plot to attack westerners at several targets in Karachi, Pakistan.
6. Heathrow Airport Plot: In 2003 the United States and several partners disrupted a plot to attack London's Heathrow Airport using hijacked commercial airliners. The planning for this alleged attack was undertaken by a major operational figure in the September 11, 2001, attacks.
7. Tourist Site Plot: In 2003 the United States and a partner nation disrupted a plot to attack a tourist site outside the U.S.. The White House did not list what site that was.
8. East Coast Airliner Plot: In mid-2003 the United States and a partner disrupted a plot to use hijacked commercial airplanes to attack targets on the East Coast of the United States.
9. Britain Country-Wide Plot: In the spring of 2004 the United States and partners, using a combination of law enforcement and intelligence resources, disrupted a plot to conduct large-scale bombings in Britain.
10. British Urban Targets Plot: In mid-2004 the United States and partners disrupted a plot to bomb urban targets in Britain.
What Keeps Us Safe
Although President Bush couldn't be specific about the role Secret Surveillance played, I'll say it for him - The Terrorist Surveillance Program, in combination with F.I.S.A. and the Patriot Act (which has crossed a significant hurdle today), IS WORKING. These successes, with no terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9-11, is your proof!
While the citizenry of the United States and her allies go about their daily lives in relative comfort and safety, tens of thousands of silent, vigilant warriors are hard at work ensuring that the Terrorists cannot bring them harm. Along with conventional armed forces and law-enforcement, security and emergency personnel who operate in the open, there exists a largely thankless army of engineers, linguists, analysts and scientists who, by necessity, operate in the shadows. They represent a considerable buffer between our largely unenlightened populations who are free to go about their lives., blissfully ignorant of the dangers we face - and how very close to the brink we have come.
Fighting Terror, while protecting the methods by which it is fought, is like a fist fight with one hand tied behind the back. Informing the public is informing the terrorist - a concept that is widely misunderstood by many members of Congress and the MSM. By its very nature, Intelligence Gathering must be kept secret, and must be used in this post 9-11, dangerous and cyber-linked world.